Saturday, March 16, 2013

slim shady


may i have your attention please?

will the real slim shady please stand up?

i repeat.

will the real slim shady please stand up?

we're going to have a problem here.....

luv eminem.

his sound really came at me sideways one spring during a long ago trip to london. 

i hadn't heard his side show kind of rap before, i asked my daughter, who is that?

and though she was only in 3rd grade at the time, she knew.

it's eminem.  but he's saying he's slim shady.

i said i love him.

and i did.

and i still do.

one of my not favorite memories is our youngest daughter, not even born yet at that time, who told me years later, mom.

i remember you always had eminem playing when you picked me up from pre-school.

i'd forgotten.

but then i remembered.

everyday when i go into radiation it's the same.  like i said.

but before it started, they took my picture.

and i'd forgotten.

this was before i cut my hair, and took the color out, and had pink added.

in a kind of pre radiation quasi rebellious moment.

so the picture they have doesn't look the same, even though it's still me.

god.

who would ever impersonate someone getting radiated?

how would that even work?

so everyday they make me look at that picture, like i'm marshall mathers,

 aka eminem, 

aka slim shady.

they say is this you?

i say yes.

they say you don't look the same.

i say i know.

i changed my hair.

(duh)

anyway.

yes that's me.

yes my birthday is such and such.

etc.

will the real slim shady please stand up?

what?

my name is

what?

my name is

what?

my name is

slim shady

please stand up.

no.

please lay down.

bend your knees.

lift your arm.

turn your head.

we'll do the rest.

we're gonna have a problem here.....

xx katy

1 comment:

  1. Katy - I just subscribed to your blog and I am crying as I read it. Most of all I'm soooo sorry- sorry for the whole situation, sorry for not knowing how to help, sorry that I fussed at Ella (lol)! It is beautiful and intimate. I really think its a book!
    I think the most difficult part for those of us on the outside is the imagining and projecting what it must be like. I am grateful that you have found a beautiful and creative way to....heal(?), fight (?), deal(?), make us feel better(?)
    The aesthetics of the blog is beautiful! The nostalgic visual references are not lost on me.....I get it.
    Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
virginia, United States